PUFFA Youth Dance Mob!

PUFFA Youth Dance Mob!
PUFFA Youth Dance Mob!

Friday, July 22, 2011

My take on PUFFA Intership

This is my second summer as a PUFFA Intern and so far its been even more enlightening than last year. It’s showed me how people in Philadelphia are really trying to change this here and some of them are my age. I think that really cool that someone my age can change things. Then also this summer we've been to so many farmers markets around Philadelphia, which I didn't even know existed. At these farmers markets you get to meet the farmers who picked the crops that your buying and in a sense your see how your helping them along. I notice that the produce they sell looks better and smell better than some of the fruit in the regular supermarket. I found out from one of the farmers that’s because it’s very fresh and they don't use pesticides on there produce. Then we also went to Reading Terminal to talk to a Farm 2 School representative Deb Bentrzel. Farm 2 School is an organization that is connects schools (K-12) and local farms with the objectives of serving healthy meals in school cafeterias, improving student nutrition, providing agriculture, health and nutrition education opportunities, and supporting local and regional farmers. We talked about food gets to Philadelphia from all over the world. It a very complicated system. The Ms. Deb gave us a tour of Reading Terminal, there are many different stand in there too. They sell all kinds of things there like, fresh produce, meat, flower etc.                           --Stephanie-PUFFA Youth

No comments:

Post a Comment